Tuesday, July 5, 2016

DIY Faux Shiplap Walls...

7:57 pm - 61 degrees - scattered clouds, light breeze...

Over the holiday weekend, I decided that I wanted to finish out all the closets in our home with a wood planking look.


Real shiplap is more than I wanted to spend, but that’s the overall look I’m wanting in all the closets – it’s a nice neutral texture that can be added to any space and can be styled in a lot of different ways.

A popular technique to get the shiplap look at a lower cost is to cut a piece of plywood into strips that you nail to the wall just slightly spaced apart.  This will save you a few bucks, but on the down side you have to rip plywood into perfectly straight strips and balance coins or spacers between boards to get the perfect spacing which would make the project a lot more labor intensive than I wanted to attempt.

So the best solution, at a reasonable price, that I found was to use tongue and grove planks.  It still gives me the look I was wanting and it was incredibly easy to install.  Altogether - planks, wood filler, sandpaper, primer and paint totaled just over $130 and the project took about 9 hours spread out over three days to finish.


After a trip to the hardware store for supplies, Tony and I started getting out all the tools I would need for this project (I always have to get organized before I start a project).

What I used...
- 8 packs of v-groove pine wallplanks (6 planks to a pack)
- Tape measure
- Level
- Brad nailer with nails
- Putty knife
- Sandpaper
- Primer & Paint



The kids’ closets are 11’3” wide by 2’7” deep with a back wall + slanted ceiling measuring 6’10” with three door openings –-- soooo... there was a lot of measuring and cutting involved.

I started the first board in the bottom left corner, used the level and a scrap piece of sheetrock to keep the board half an inch off the subfloor (the spacing will allow for the future installation of flooring) and nailed in the board using the brad nailer.


After serveral trips up and down the stairs to cut boards, I quickly found my rhythm alternating the plank lengths as I worked my way up the wall.  It took me somewhere between one and a half to two hours to get all the planking up.  


After the boards were up, I went back and filled all the nail holes and smoothed out the seams with wood filler.  After the wood filler had time to dry, I went back and sanded all those spots smooth.  Then paint!  I used half a can of primer (one heavy coat + touch ups) and half a can Valspar Snowcap White (one heavy coat + touch ups).


He wanted to help so bad, so he's filling nail holes with wood filler.

Putting on a coat of primer.

Putting on the final coat of paint.  Final paint on the left, primer on the right.
I absolutely love how it turned it.  One kid’s closet done, one more to go!


All done!  Love it!