Saturday, May 18, 2013

Saturday Evening Post…

7:58 pm - 48 degrees - foggy, drizzling...

A small glimpse into our lives as we live off-grid… sort of like eves dropping.  It may be a thought, quote or a conversation; funny, sweet or sad; but it will always be true.  We will see if it resonates with you…


The setting outside our home is beautiful.  It also provides a natural playground for our children, with infinite possibilities for discoveries right outside our doorstep.  Along with the benefits and positive experiences that come with raising children in natural areas, come many moments of anxiety as a parent.  There are more than enough risks and hazards in our natural setting to keep a parent’s imagination active with possibilities of what could go wrong...and I have a pretty darn vivid imagination!

If it’s not raining or too windy, then the kids are outside playing.  As they race to throw on their “mountain clothes” and hurry outside, I’m usually yelling at them to “be careful” and “stay where I can see you”.  It is our belief (or hope) that growing up in a rugged natural environment, our children will start to recognize the hazards and become responsible when they need to.

 
Earlier this week - just got home from picking the kids up from school...

Me:  “Go get changed, then go outside and play.  It’s supposed to start raining in a few days, so enjoy the sun while you can.  I’ll call you when it’s dinner time.”
Kids:  (running to get changed) “Yea!!!”
Me:  (as the kids are racing to get outside) “Be careful!!!  Stay where I can see you!!!”
4-year-old-son:  (stops, walks back to me and starts patting my arm) “Mom, its okay, I’m always careful.  I’m just not when you’re around.  I love you!”  (and races out the door)