Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Simplify...

62 degrees - 6:44 pm - blue sky...

In the past eight months (since Sep 1st), we have had 114.22 inches of rain up here on the mountain.  Ketchikan, Alaska’s average annual rainfall is 152 inches, and the next runner up is Hilo, Hawaii with 128 inches of annual rainfall… I think we have a very good chance of beating those records.

Even though we are now into May, at the end of last week Mother Nature just couldn’t make up her mind if she wanted it to snow or rain.  Thankfully it wasn’t cold enough and the snow never stuck, but the crazy weather did keep us indoors.

So with the slushy rain coming down outside, I spent my time inside decluttering and reorganizing.  When I look around the house and see piles forming here and there, I feel like I am being overrun by stuff.   It’s time to simplify.  So I found myself digging thru drawers, closets, file cabinets, basically anywhere stuff gets stashed and started cleaning house.  I ask myself if it has been used, worn, or needed in the past year or two... chances are if it hasn’t, it won’t in the future either so out it goes.


I feel that a house with less paraphernalia is easier to clean and keep clean so when you look at your belongings they should have purpose or cause a warm sweet feeling, such as precious presents from children, family heirlooms, or anything that has a special meaning.  But to just see how much one can accumulate or squeeze into your dwelling is silly and consuming.

“Our life is frittered away by detail.  Simplify, simplify.” ~ Henry David Thoreau