Friday, February 3, 2012

What A Day {What A Week!}...

37 degrees - 5:22 pm - clear sky and howling wind...

Oh how sickness changes things!  All of our plans for this week were quickly shot down when Caitlyn got sick… followed by Jack… then me… and now Tony, who is currently down and out with that horrid cold that has wiped the family out.  Needless to say it has been a very long week.

The weather is finally in our favor to get some outside projects done… well not really I guess because the wind has been howling outside – 70+ mph wind gusts today alone… and even though the sun is out, you just can’t do much when you are sick.

On my way to pick Caitlyn up from school (which is about a 25 minute drive by the way), halfway down the mountain I was stopped by a tree that had fallen across the road due to the wind.  All I could think of was being late picking Caitlyn up and how I didn’t have any bars on my cell so I couldn’t call the school. Ahhhh!  Now, I don’t know if it is my Type-A personality or just me, but I hate to be late.  Especially when it has anything to do with my kids. 

Living off-grid on top of a mountain, you might think that possibly, just possibly I might know how to use a chainsaw and could have just cut the tree down myself.  Nope.  Tony has very skillfully avoided teaching me how to use a chainsaw.  For some reason he seems to think that I might cut off an arm or leg or something because, yes I do tend to be a bit clumsy sometimes.  Although my clumsiness has nothing to do with power tools… I just don’t know how to use stairs properly – I am constantly falling up and down them.  

Since there was a huge tree in my way… I had no way to move it or clear it… and there was no way to drive under, over or around it… I turned the car around and raced home. 

Now Tony has been in bed all day with a fever and he’s been throwing up, so I felt horrible that I had to wake him up and ask him to go chop down a tree for me... 

...and that is exactly what my knight is shining armor did!

while Tony was chopping up the tree, I was moving
 the branches and rounds off to the sides of the road

Yea, the road is now passable again!  Oh how I love my man!