Sunday, February 26, 2012

First Time For Everything…

27 degrees - 8:55pm - clear cold night...

This weekend it seems like we were living in a snow globe.  The snow was coming down hard and with the howling wind the multi sized snowflakes were swirling around every which way.  We’re not really sure how much snow this weekend has brought… some areas have 8 inches where a few feet away there is 24 inches of snow… the west side of the roof had 2 inches where the east side of the roof had 12 inches… the wind caused some really crazy snow drifts.

This morning Tony jumped into our neighbors brand new John Deere tractor with a brand new 96” Erskine Snow Blower to blow snow...



...that last about 10 minutes before he broke it.  Luckily it was only a shear pin. 


Unfortunately the nearest shear pin was a two hour round trip to the nearest hardware store.  We now have plenty of extras and are hopefully ready for the next dumping of snow on Tuesday.

Now, I have said before that I am not a fan of driving in the snow.  Well it’s not really driving in the snow as much as the very real possibility of sliding off the mountain while I am driving in the snow.  So today on the way home, I was very thankful that Tony was just a few minutes behind me.  There were some very slick spots on the snow covered road where all I was doing was sliding around.  Normally my 4x4 SUV has no problem, but today was the first time I have ever had to put chains on.  Well, I didn’t put them on, Tony did (thank goodness!), although I will have to figure it out tomorrow morning when I take Caitlyn to school.