Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Brrrr, Baby It’s Cold Outside…

31 degrees - 9:44 am - bright blue sky with scattered white puffy clouds…

The wind has finally calmed down a bit.  For the past several days the wind has been howling with 66+ mph wind gusts causing things to fall over and fly thru the air.  Even with five layers of clothes on I was still freezing as I was running around the yard picking stuff up and trying not to get blown away myself.

Even with the wind temporarily gone, it’s still freezing outside right now.  Everything is frozen and in the backyard, we have strange looking ice crystal called needle ice.  Needle ice can form any place where the ground freezes.  Needle ice is made up of thin ice crystals that grow upward, starting just below the grounds surface.  These ice crystals have made the ground rise several inches.  I think they are really neat looking so I just had to take some pictures.

these strange looking ice crystals are called 'needle ice'