Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Brrrr, Baby It’s Cold Outside…

5:42 pm - 32 degrees - clear night sky… 

Two weeks ago we had our first snow for the season.  I wasn't able to get good pictures because the mountain was hiding in the clouds.  The mountain has only recently decided to come out, and you can see just a tiny sliver of the snow remaining.

Taken November 3rd - 0ur first snow of the season.
 
The mountain has stopped hiding!  If you look really hard,
you can see a small sliver of snow left from the first snow fall.
For the next few days, it is supposed to be nice out, although very cooold  Even with five layers of clothes on this morning, I was still freezing as I was running around the yard taking pictures - it was just so pretty out, I couldn't help myself.
 
 

It so cold out that everything is frozen right now.  And in the backyard we have strange looking ice crystal called needle ice.  Needle ice can form any place where the ground freezes.  Needle ice is made up of thin ice crystals that grow upward, starting just below the grounds surface.  These ice crystals have made the ground rise several inches.  I think they are really neat looking so I just had to take some pictures.
 
Needle Ice