Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Perfect Waffle…

39 degrees - 10:11 am - cloudy...

Maybe it’s the recipe.  Maybe it’s the fact that I smother the waffles in maple syrup and butter.  I don’t know.  But these are amazing.  I hate to admit it, but I always eat way more than I should.  But I really cannot put down my fork.  Well, maybe I could but then I probably would just keep eating with my fingers and that’s not a very good example for the kids.  So I figure if the most self control I can exhibit is hanging onto my fork, then I better do it.


  ~ The Perfect Waffle ~

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
2 egg, separate whites and yolks
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
4 Tbsp butter, melted

Preheat waffle iron.  Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.

Whisk milk, yolks, vanilla, and lemon juice together in a second blow, then add to dry ingredients.  Blend just until moistened (batter will be slightly lumpy).  Stir in the melted butter.

Beat whites to medium peaks in a bowl with a hand mixer, then gently fold into the batter.  To cook, pour batter into the waffle iron and cook according to waffle iron instructions.

Top with your favorite waffle toppings and serve!

{You probably won’t, but just in case you do have a few leftovers, you can freeze them for up to two weeks, then recrisp in a toaster on low heat.}

---Enjoy!