Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Elf On The Shelf…

36 degrees - 8:55 am - cold but beautiful outside...

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!  I must admit that I love Christmas time.  I love seeing all the homes decorated in their glistening white lights and beautiful wreaths hanging on the door.  I love gathering with family and friends at holiday parties, picking out presents for our loved ones, and I love all of our family traditions and the wonderful memories they create.

This year our family is starting a new Christmas Tradition… the Elf on the Shelf.  I personally believe that family traditions are very important… so that’s why I fell in love with the Elf on the Shelf book set.  I’ll be honest, I knew nothing about this book or the elf until I saw it at the store.  It caught my attention because my grandparents used to have an elf just like it.  Although their elf was just a decoration and never roamed the house like our elf does.

So you’re probably thinking… what is it?… what’s the point?  Well… inside the book set you will find an antique-styled Elf (which we named Red), formed to sit on a shelf or perch in your house, as well as a book that explains what the Elf is for.  Red has an important job.  This elf is assigned to watch over our family and report back to Santa each night about who has been naughty or nice that day.  By morning Red’s back but he’s in a different place in the house for a daily hide-and-seek ritual.  Of course Red can’t talk to the kids.  It’s against Santa’s rules.  The kids are also not allowed to play with or touch Red as it could rub off his magic and he won’t be able to get to the North Pole and give Santa his daily reports.  This would mean trouble for all involved.

I’m telling you, I think I will have more fun with this than Caitlyn or Jack will and they get to get up every morning with the burning question… “Where do you think Red the elf is today?”

Jack woke Caitlyn up to show her what was under the Christmas tree
and to read the little note that was left there by Red.