Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Reflections On A Woodland Walk…

65 degrees - 3:43 pm - clear blue sky with 23 mph wind gusts...

“There is a serene and settled majesty to woodland scenery that enters into the soul and delights and elevates it, and fills it with noble inclinations.” ~ Washington Irving

I love living in the woods.  It’s a place that I find grounding.  In a world that is often rushed and hurried, Nature moves at her own pace.  But she waits for no one, and her gifts are both spectacular and fleeting.

When I was a child, I’d spend hours outside exploring and lose myself in make believe and pretend play.  As a grownup, while I may be in the woods, I’m not always present or paying attention to what’s around me – I’m lost in thought about life, the universe and everything in between.

But children truly exist in the moment and their minds are free to see the wonders of Nature through such playful eyes.  As the kids and I are out and about on our nature walks they like to show me all their magical discoveries that normally go by unnoticed or are so often overlooked in our busy everyday lives.

rain drops on a spiderweb? --- or a fairies house covered in crystals?

tree canopy? --- or tall giants who like to dance in the wind?


a field of grass? --- or a place for hidden forts???

Every grownup can use a bit more magic in their life, don’t you think?


P.S. - The similarities between raising children and appreciating Nature’s treasures isn’t lost on me:  it’s about savoring the time you have, being present and not letting life’s moments pass you by.  Because just like Nature's gifts, I'll miss them when they're gone.